According to CNN, the Secretary General of FIFA, Jerome Valcke said on Wednesday that FIFA would be postponing the bidding process for the 2026 World Cup, amid the ongoing investigations as it relates to allegations of corrupt practices levied against top officials of the World soccer’s governing body.
FIFA had planned on allocating the 2026 tournament to a host nation in 2017, with the bidding process expected to start soon, Valcke said, but in the current situation, it’s “nonsense to start any bidding process for the time being.”
Although an official of the organization had previously said that Russia and Qatar may lose hosting rights if evidence of bribery in the bidding process was found – click here if you missed it – FIFA however said on Monday that there are no legal grounds for it to take the 2018 World Cup from both countries.
Speaking to reporters while on a visit to Russia on Wednesday, Valcke said preparations for hosting the 2018 World Cup were “on track.”
Photo Credit: Getty Images