The fourth of July is a day where Americans and celebrate their Independence! However, just as some were celebrating with fireworks, the jubilation attempted by a 22 year old boy went really awry.
Devon Staples, while attempting to express his Fourth of July joy by launching a fireworks mortar from the top of his head apparently made a wrong move, as the fireworks ended up killing him, Huffington Post reports! He was warned by some friends who tried to stop him but their attempts were futile. The incident reportedly took place in Calais, Maine.
The Bangor Daily News reported that the spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety, Stephen McCausland, said that Mr Staples had been drinking alcohol and that explosion immediately caused a fatal head injury.
Buzzfeed also noted that his 25-year-old brother Cody Staples told the New York Daily News that it was an accident and that he was with his brother in a Calais backyard when the firework went off.
Recounting the incident, Cody said:
“I was the first one who got there. There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there. It was a freak accident … Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid. He was the kind of person who would pretend to do something stupid to make people laugh.”
Sadly, sometimes alcohol can make people do what they will not usually attempt. This is such a sad way to end the Fourth of July celebration.
Staples lived in Orlando, Florida, where he once worked at the Walt Disney World as Gaston.